Shear Torcher And Name Dropping

I know this dubious woman who posted her profile online to pick up men. She was into watersports, bondage and torcher. She was an idiot and the idea that she couldn’t even spell “torture” cinched it. Before Halloween I found a bunch of sites that were befitting the season, I posted links to one about the history of torture devices. I added a mention of “medieval torcher” as an aside. Since then, most of the links to that posting came from users looking for “medieval torcher”. The first lesson to be learned: misspelling carry benefits.
I am very obsessed with pop-culture. Frequently I will post about this starlet or that TV show. Sometimes I will just liken something in my day-to-day life with something from pop culture. This has the side effect in the search engines of becoming a touchstone. If you say, “the karaoke singer had the bubble gum sap sound of Britney Spears” people looking for Britney Spears information may find your site as a side effect.
Am I saying that you should dump non-sequitors into your blog posts? Should you toss out your spellchecker? Nope. Around 1996 when people “discovered” meta tags, they made hay by jamming every inappropriate term into their meta tag keywords. Search engines quickly shunned those pages. Because of the immediacy of blog posts, a lot of material isn’t vetted. Your off the cuff comparison of Tom Cruise to a two year old will either be scooped up by the search engines before you can say “Oprah’s couch” or it runs the risk of being too stale to be of any good to those to use blog search engines.
If the goal is simply to garner hits and popularity, use some pithiness to slip in pop-culture references and the odd well placed misspellings to great effect. Done carefully, you can do this and not sacrifice the style and quality of your blog.

tags: search terms misspellings SEO

Comments

Unknown said…
reading this reminded me of a post I wrote a while back on fat fingers, a search engine for misspelled versions of whatever you might want to buy on eBay.