Cross #1 Off My List

For a lot of reasons, I hate LiveJournal. So much so, that seeing it disappear is my #1 wish on 43 Things. Move over 'Cure for Cancer', 'Threesome' and '1 Million Dollars'-- I want to see SixApart's baby to keel over. It's well on that way, but we got a sampler of life without LJ this week. In a small way, I got my wish (this from Laughing Squid):

6 back-to-back power outages hit the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco Tuesday afternoon causing major havoc with popular web services. 365 Main is down, along with craigslist, Technorati, Yelp, AdBrite and SixApart (including TypePad, LiveJournal and Vox). It caused some problems with servers used by Current TV and Second Life.

Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) is currently working on the issue. It is now estimated that over PG&E 30,000 customers are with out power.

So the big question, where is the backup power at the data centers used by these services? UPS and diesel generators should normally help situation like this.

More coverage:

O’Reilly Radar
Robert Scoble
OpenDNS

Comments